Council Tax Discount Application for Carers
To qualify for a carers discount, the following criteria must be met
The person receiving care, must be in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits:
- a higher rate attendance allowance under section 65 of the Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992(5)
- the highest rate of the care component of a disability living allowance under section 72(4)(a) of that Act
- an increase in the rate of his disablement pension under section 104 of that Act; or
- an increase in a constant attendance allowance under the proviso to article 14 of the Personal Injuries (Civilians) Scheme 1983(6), or
- under article 14(1)(b) of the Naval, Military and Air Forces etc. (Disablement and Death) Service Pensions Order 1983(7) (including that provision as applied, whether with or without modifications, by any
In addition to the above benefit award, the following circumstances must also apply:
- resident in the same dwelling as the person to whom he is providing care
- providing that care for at least 35 hours a week on average; and
- not a disqualified relative of that person.
- The spouse of the other or they live together as husband and wife or
- The parent of the other, who is a child below the age of 18 years.
If you wish to apply for this discount, please complete the application form & provide evidence of the qualifying benefit for our consideration.
The information requested on this form will be held on a computer system and be used for the purpose of establishing whether you are entitled to a discount on your council tax bill.
Information may be disclosed to other council departments.